Engineers Australia is the designated assessing authority for most engineering occupations. 1. Occupational Categories in Engineering Engineers Australia recognises three occupational categories within the engineering practice in Australia:
• Professional Engineer
• Engineering Technologist
• Engineering Associate
For migration purposes, the additional category of Engineering Manager is also recognised.
The required academic qualification is an Australian 4 year bachelor degree in engineering at a University following 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
The Professional Engineer:
• Focuses on overall systems
• Pursues engineering opportunities in a holistic way, taking environmental, community & social issues into account
• Applies systematic approaches to the conduct and management of engineering projects
• Applies systematic engineering synthesis and design processes
• Applies established engineering methods to complex engineering problems
• Applies leadership & management skills (Please refer to Appendix page 32 for more information)
The required academic qualification is an Australian 3 year bachelor of technology degree in engineering following 12 years of schooling or equivalent. The Engineering Technologist:
• Focuses on interactions within the system
• Applies established engineering methods, techniques, tools and resources within the technology domain
• Advances engineering technology (Please refer to Appendix page 37 for more information)
The required academic qualification is an Australian 2 year Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in engineering following 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
The Engineering Associate:
• Focuses on specific elements of the system
• Operates within codes and applies established practices and procedures
• Provides technical support to construction managers and engineering professionals in research, design, manufacture, assembly, construction, operation and maintenance of machines and equipment, facilities, distribution systems and installations
• Assists in resource estimation and site inspection
• Prepares, interprets, inspects and revises drawings, plans, diagrams, designs, maps and charts (Please refer to Appendix page 42 for more information)
The required academic qualification is generally a bachelor degree or higher in engineering or in an engineering related field following 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
The Engineering Manager:
• Formulates engineering strategies, policies and plans and their direction
• Administrates and reviews engineering operations for an organisation. Applicants should note that this occupation is not an engineering occupation, but rather belongs to the Managers ANZSCO group. Consequently, a positive outcome will not allow automatic membership with Engineers Australia