Research is important both in scientific and nonscientific fields. In our life new problems,events, phenomena and processes occur every day. Practically, implementable solutions and suggestions are required for tackling new problems that arise. Scientists have to undertake research on them and find their causes, solutions, explanations and applications. Precisely,research assists us to understand nature and natural phenomena.
Some important avenues of research are:
- A research problem refers to a difficulty which a researcher or a scientific community or an industry or a government organization or a society experiences.
- It may be a theoretical or a practical situation. It calls for a thorough understanding and possible solution.
- Research on existing theories and concepts help us identify the range and applications of them.
- It is the fountain of knowledge and provide guidelines for solving problems.
- Research provides basis for many government policies.
- It is important in industry and business for higher gain and productivity and to improve the quality of products.
- Mathematical and logical research on business and industry optimizes the problems in them.
- Only through research inventions can be made; for example, new and novel phenomena and processes.
Selection of Research Topic
The starting point of a research is the selection of a research topic and problem. If we could obtain an idea of the probable development of scientific knowledge in the immediate future, we must let the unsettled questions pass before our minds and look over the problems which the science of today sets and whose solution we expect from the the near future.
The deep significance of certain problems for the advancement of science and society must be taken into consideration in choosing a problem of research. There are many ways to do research as there are scientists.
The choice of a thesis research area and adviser has always been a very subjective process. Identifying a suitable topic for work is one of the most difficult parts of a research. Before choosing a research topic and a problem the young researchers should keep the following points in mind.
• Topic should be suitable for research.
• The researcher should have interest in it.
• Topic should not be chosen by compulsion from some one else